Leigh Creek Transformation
This webpage is the South Australian Government’s dedicated webpage for information on the Leigh Creek Future Town Plan. This webpage will be regularly updated with a range of information. Should there be any further detail you wish to see, your feedback will be valued by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear Leigh Creek Stakeholder
The state government is committed to Leigh Creek becoming a sustainable and open town and a thriving regional tourist hub, and service centre for surrounding northern Flinders Ranges communities.
I am pleased to provide further information relating to the Future Township Plan which provides the greatest certainty to those who call Leigh Creek home.
As you may be aware, the 2020-21 State Budget provides an additional $30.6 million to transform Leigh Creek from a former government owned and company-controlled town to an open public town, bringing the total budget to $43.6 million over four years.
This process will include:
- a new town management model with wider representation from the northern Flinders Ranges communities to be explored and determined during the transformation period,
- the demolition of houses and commercial structures and decommissioning of infrastructure in line with new Town Plan,
- a process for the sale of residential and commercial properties prioritising current lease holders and residents. In the event that residents do not or cannot purchase the houses, options for rental stock will be provided,
- a new purpose-built health and ambulance facility for the region, and
- upgrade of the critical aerodrome, including resurfacing of runways, new fencing and upgraded navigation system.
It is vital that the town is sized and structured to ensure it can sustain itself and thrive in the short, medium and long term. Leaving the unused and dilapidated structures to deteriorate further will detract from Leigh Creek making it an uninviting and unwelcoming place to live and visit.
The significant transformation program planned will also provide important economic stimulus for Leigh Creek and surrounding communities while the works are undertaken and beyond.
More detailed information is provided in a frequently asked questions (FAQ) document that can be accessed on this webpage.
The South Australian Government’s Leigh Creek Task Force in partnership with the Outback Communities Authority (OCA) will deliver the transformation. Additional OCA staff will be based at Leigh Creek to support the community via regular consultation, updates and communication throughout the transformation.
You will have many more opportunities to discuss any issues you may have with me and also with members of the Task Force. I am arranging to be at Leigh Creek to meet with you on 17 December 2020. Several members of the Task Force will be also available to meet with you.
Please be assured that we will continue to provide more information about the transformation process as the new Town Plan is delivered and Leigh Creek re-emerges as a strong and vital town.
Dan van Holst Pellekaan
Information Sessions - Transformation program opportunities
Leigh Creek Information Session
Please join us for an Information Session regarding the physical transformation of Leigh Creek. Representatives from Department for Infrastructure and Transport and the Office of the Industry Advocate will outline opportunities that exist within the demolition works where local contractors could work with and supply to the successful Contractor and the industry requirements for engagement.
Registration of Interest for the Leigh Creek Transformation Works
- Collect contact details of interested businesses via a Registration of Interest to share with the potential tenderers; and
- Hold a briefing in Leigh Creek with the successful contractor for people and businesses based in the region and surrounding regional area who wish to work with the successful Contractor. This briefing will be held in late May - early June - further details of the timing and location of the briefing will be provided at a later date.
To register your interest and receive information on this upcoming opportunity, register now at https://mailchi.mp/915aa1ae2b37/5bzj3wr68l.
Information about the transformation progress
- High Level Implementation Schedule
- Leigh Creek Demolition Areas - Salvage Items and Sale Process
- Advice on new Residential Tenancy Applications
- Frequently asked questions document (FAQ’s)
- Town Plan
- Presentation by Hon Dan van Holst Pellekaan MP 17 December 2020
- The Leigh Creek Township FAQs will be regularly updated as information becomes available.
- This webpage will be regularly update regarding the upcoming meeting details.
- Contact details will be updated and provided on the OCA webpage, in the newsletters and at the regular community meetings to enable individuals to ask questions and to raise any concerns.
- A dedicated email address is available to provide feedback to the Leigh Creek Task Force email@example.com.
- Community Meeting Schedule 2021
The next Community Meeting is on Thursday 24 June from 5.30pm - 7.30pm in the Leigh Creek Auditorium
The OCA, in discussion with the Leigh Creek Community Progress Association and other nearby communities has scheduled regular community engagement meetings to update progress on the transformation and understand community issues. The OCA aims to ensure that there is a good feedback loop that flows information between the community and Implementation Committee.
Monthly meetings will be held on Thursdays from 5.30pm - 7.30pm in the Leigh Creek Auditorium / Cinema, all welcome.
The Community Meeting Schedule for 2021 can be found here.
Presentations from previous community engagement meetings can be accessed here:
Leigh Creek News
08 8675 2126
08 8343 2605
Leigh Creek Task Force:
Vicki Beard, Project Manager
0438 850 059